What is a Blog and Blogging ? | All the terms Explained for Newbies
I started affiliate marketing in 2016 at the age of 51. Most of the closed ones still wonder about what am I doing after quitting the job. They are taken up by surprise when I tell them that I am making money as a blogger. The people of my age, who are in traditional Jobs could not believe that one can make money operating from home with a laptop and internet connection. For benefit of all those who are new to this field here is my post "what is a Blog and Blogging". In the next post, I will cover how to make money with a Blog.
What is a Blog?
A blog is a journal or website which is available on the internet and may contain links to other websites. In most cases, links shared are affiliate links for making money. The person who creates the blog is known as the 'blogger'.
When you write the blog, you are 'blogging'. Individual blogs are the 'blog posts' or 'blog entries'. Blogs have to updated regularly for contents to incorporate updated information and for the purpose of SEO.
Hi, I am Arun
Laid Off from Work At 51, I am making 6 Figure income online
How to Write Blog Title:
Blog title must not only be captivating, but also be about something which people will search for on Google. I will advise you not to make the blog too general and specific as that nobody will search for it. Most of the time people search for solving their problems. Your blog title must be able to fulfill their expectations. It must convince them that they will find what they are looking forward to or else they will not open your Blog.
For example, a blogger offering tips on losing weight using Green Tea should not call the blog 'Green Tea and its benefits' as this will be lost amongst the many thousands of other posts on this subject.
Instead, perhaps, the blogger could choose titles like 'How to lose weight in 3 months without dieting ', or, 'How to lose weight without Gym' will generally create lots of interest in the blogging world.
Try not to make the title too long. Google will only display the first 70 characters in its search results, so try to keep it short, sweet and attention-grabbing.
How long should a blog post be?
Every Blogger will have a different opinion about the length of the Blog Post. Though there is no hard and fast rule about blog length, it is generally assumed that a blog post should ideally be between 500 to 1500 words. This will allow a blogger to write adequate details about the product with their readers but does not overload them. If you feel you need more words to explain the Product, do not worry about the word limit. As long as you are sharing the useful information and keep your readers interested in Blog, keep writing.
Once you have developed a fan following, writing shorter or longer blogs will not make any difference as you already have an audience for them.
I am not saying that each one of your blogs must be at least 500 words. I stick to my point that there is no thumb rule.
First and foremost, a blog should be written with the readers in mind and not the search engine. So, if you want to write a short blog which you know will be appreciated by your target audience, write it!
The length of a blog will of course vary depending on the content. Just bear in mind that for SEO optimization purposes, there must be enough written content and some images as well, wherever possible.
Blogs are personal to you and your business, therefore I can just advise keeping blogs of a certain length, it is of course entirely up to you.
Whatever may be the length, blog posts must be written regularly. This really is the key to a successful blogging business.
How often should I write my Blog Posts?
Ideally, I would recommend writing at least 2 to 3 posts every week in order to retain audience interest and impact your search engine ranking. The more blogs you write, the more search engines such as Google will recognize your site. It also increases the chances of your audience sharing its content.
Once you start building up a following, you can finish a blog by notifying your readers of the date you will submit your next blog, which will encourage readers back to your site on a regular basis.
Writing 2 to 3 blog posts a week may not be always achievable. You will need to establish a realistic work schedule which works for you.
In case you are not short on money, you can hire some content writers or outsource the work at freelancing websites like Fiverr.
I am not going to share some of the tips being used by the bloggers to increase the traffic and readership for your blog. As your blog would grow in size, Its popularity will automatically increase but still, you will have to optimize each post for SEO,
- As a first step, you must find a relevant keyword for your blog. A keyword is a word or phrase which best describes the content of your blog.
- The Keyword must be used in the title, and repeated throughout the blog, including, importantly, in the first paragraph.
- You must bear in mind that if the keyword is repeated too often, the blog will look over-optimized. It used to work in the past but with latest updates, Search engines do the like keyword crowding. Rather than ranking high, Your blog may be penalized.
- Though there are no strict rules about how many times your keyword should appear in your blog, I would advise you to keep the keyword density up 2% maximum. This may be against the general advice given by many online marketing Gurus, who would like you to keep it between 1-5% is acceptable.
- In any case, a blog having KD more than 7% would make your blog keyword rich and over-optimized.
- You must keep your target audience in mind and write for them rather than writing for search engines. You must try to provide accurate information about the product and educate the readers. Suppose you are in a home appliance niche and writing about air conditioners. You must tell the buyers but the wattage, cooling area, electricity consumption, etc. You must write the Pros and cons of all the selected models and let the people decide which air conditioner is best for them.
- It is absolutely acceptable if you write your personal opinions about the product and make it stand out from the rest and actively encourage the buyers to buy that particular product. But you must be assured that you are not promoting a bad product or else hour online reputation will be tarnished.
- All informative blogs such as 'how to' or 'top tips' guides are more popular as they answer the questions being searched online.
- Your blog must be easy to read. Try to break down the content into number or bullet points to create an aesthetically pleasing post. Readers prefer bite-sized pieces of information rather than long paragraphs of text. Images, Graphs, and videos are also beneficial in a blog.
Back Linking to Other Websites:
You must do proper research and keep in mind the other relevant site in your niche you can link to. For Search Engines Optimization, you have to link back to the relevant posts in your own blog also. For example, I have just Linked to my other post on SEO.
Getting Ready for Posting your Blog:
Proofread and perform a spell check before posting. The reader may be visiting your blog for the first time, therefore, creating a good impression is vital.
There are many free resources available for posting the blog. You can set up a Blogger Account on WordPress or Google or any other blogging site for Free. However, if you are looking for a long term benefit, you must add the blog to your own website. This will help you establish your own brand and business.
Hope You have like this post. In case you need more information, Just leave a comment below